Re: STC Membership

Subject: Re: STC Membership
From: "Karen E. Black" <kblack_text -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 20:56:22 -0500

I've been a member for a number of years, and have never been to a meeting (but if I decided to go, I COULD; 'course, I live in a major centre). I really like the quarterly and monthly publications, however, and I find that having STC membership on my resume is more valuable than, say, do-it-yourself plumbing (love that Teflon tape!). I was also asked to judge my chapter's online competition, which gave me an opportunity to give my opinion without having to do any actual writing. And I enjoyed the experience!

Fortunately, my company now pays my "professional" fees. I was able to tax-deduct the previous 2 years' fees because I was independent.

Karen E. Black

From: "bgoett" <rbg -at- silk -dot- net>>
I'm trying to decide if the benefits of joining STC are worth the $200.00
CDN annual fees. There seems to be a wealth of information about technical
writing free for the asking on web sites like TECHWR-L. I haven't noticed a
huge number of job postings on the main STC site or the Canadian chapter
sites. If I lived in a major center like Vancouver or Calgary, I'm sure it
would be beneficial to attend meetings and network with other tech writers.
Any opinions?
Bruce Goett
Kelowna, B.C.

Sponsored by eHelp Corporation, makers of RoboHelp - the industry standard
in Help authoring. Download a trial version today or get special savings when you buy the RoboHelp 2002 Holiday Edition. Visit