Professional Memberships on Resumes (was: STC Membership)

Subject: Professional Memberships on Resumes (was: STC Membership)
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 18:21:17 -0800

Tom Murrell wrote:

On the one hand ...
[snip]

On the other hand...

Tom:

This is a very balanced summary. It's much more balanced than I could manage, which is why I'll simply say that I consider the STC so irrelevant that I no longer even bother to bad-mouth it.

Instead, I'd like to focus on another point:

It probably doesn't hurt to have a professional organization on your resume.

Do you really think so?

I admit that I used to list professional associations when I was first starting out, and hungry for any kind of credential I could find. However, aside from people asking me what "STC" stood for, I don't think that anyone even noticed them. Nor did I notice a difference in my interview success when I listed professional associations than when I didn't, - both before and after.

Leavng out the fact that few people will be impressed by an organization they've never heard of, let alone one whose requirement is simply the cash to belong, I'm curious:

Has anyone found listing professional associations helpful? If so, which ones? Also, are the associations they've found helpful for writers, or for computer developers and other experts?

"Whoever invented the policeman ought to be licked into shape,
Toughened and trained till the body's a cane...
Till obedience rules and encircles the brain
With walls so he'll never escape."
- Leon Rosselson "Whoever Invented the Fishfinger"

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr