Re: Difference between process and task-based?

Subject: Re: Difference between process and task-based?
From: "Timothy Trese" <Timothy -dot- G -dot- Trese -at- SAICSeals -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 09:49:54 -0500

Lisa wrote:
[Quote]
Without knowing too much about the product yet, it seems as if I need to
go a step beyond just task-based writing and incorporate some serious
instructional design. I was looking on Amazon and found books on
"procedures" and "instructional design/training design," but nothing
that clicked. I don't think a simple procedural approach with do it
(though I realize that procedures can be complex). On the other hand, I
could be making this too hard (I've been known to do that from time to
time!).
[End quote]
If you want to determine whether your task involves instructional
design, check out The Systematic Design of Instruction by Walter Dick
and Lou Carey. That's one of, if not THE, bible of the trade, and it's
written with a solid high-level description of the process in Chapter 1.
It's been around since eighties, and in its third or fourth edition in
the last year or so.
[Quote]
Is there really a difference between task-based and process
documentation?
[End Quote]
If I use the terms as you do, there is a distinct difference, but
understand that the people use the term process can vary widely.
Briefly, task-based is a procedure and explains HOW to do something,
usually in the imperative voice. Process documentation explains WHAT you
do, described in declarative sentences. Process documentation is at a
higher level and often refers to child procedures by title. Process
documentation is the bridge between the highest-level policy statements,
theoretical discussions, or principles of operation, which answer the
WHY, and the people in the trenches doing the work. E.G. Management at a
local site implements a corporate policy with one or more process
documents, describing what they will specifically do to efficiently
allocate local resources and conform to local requirements, all to
achieve their charter objectives. Task-based procedures (or
instructions, or whatever) tell the guy operating the ACME widget maker
how to do his job, which buttons to push and whose signatures to get,
based on conformance to local process documents.

Sponsored by eHelp Corporation, makers of RoboHelp - the industry standard
in Help authoring. Download a trial version today or get special savings when
you buy the RoboHelp 2002 Holiday Edition. Visit http://www.ehelp.com/techwr