RE: STC Membership

Subject: RE: STC Membership
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 08:40:06 -0700

Dan said:

> I was
> asking for comment on _why_ an employer would be
> looking only at STC members.

It does seem like an odd request. Perhaps it is a company whose previous
writers have A) convinced the company to pick up the tab for their
membership fees, and B) in doing so, have hyped the STC to their employers
enough to make them think that it's a good qualification for identifying
"legit" tech writers.

I'm an STC fan, but this does seem excessive. When I screen resumes, I am
favorably impressed by membership in appropriate professional
organizations, but I'd never make such membership a dealbreaker.

- Keith Cronin

Tech writing: Keeping VCRs blinking "12:00" forever.

Sponsored by eHelp Corporation, makers of RoboHelp - the industry standard
in Help authoring. Download a trial version today or get special savings when
you buy the RoboHelp 2002 Holiday Edition. Visit http://www.ehelp.com/techwr