RE: The demise of Forefront and (Future of Help 2. )

Subject: RE: The demise of Forefront and (Future of Help 2. )
From: Jim Shaeffer <jims -at- spsi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 12:12:50 -0500

Some notes in line:
> I'm more than a bit surprised that there has not been more
> followup about <snip> ForeFront's closing.

Quite a bit of discussion on the HATT list, but I think most of
us are just taking a deep breath and moving forward.

> P.S. I had queried ForeFront as to whether they planned
> to release a ForeHelp version that would incorporate the
> prospective Microsoft Help 2.x standards.

To quote from an official posting from Microsoft:

The Microsoft® Help team has decided to postpone the public
release of Microsoft Help 2. This difficult decision is based on
customer feedback that we should postpone the release until we
can provide a complete solution.
Although we had planned to release a beta version of Help 2
this past summer, it won't be available until at least calendar
year 2003.

Jim Shaeffer (jims -at- spsi -dot- com)

Sponsored by eHelp Corporation, makers of RoboHelp. RoboHelp 2002 is now available! Get the very latest in Help functionality
to create superior Help systems. Get special savings when you buy
in January! Visit http://www.ehelp.com/techwr