Re: Client woes: a question to ask yourself...

Subject: Re: Client woes: a question to ask yourself...
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 10:35:21 -0800

bryan -dot- westbrook -at- amd -dot- com wrote:

My first writing job was in the automotive industry. Should I have been required to take some auto repair classes at the vo-tech to get my degree?

John Posada [mailto:jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com]wrote:

How would it be possible, while in college, to know what field you
will be writing for down the road? I've had contracts at telecom,
pharm, accounting, and IP business services.

Come on now. Both of you are taking the point to ridiculous extremes, and I suspect that you both know it.

When people say that a writer should know something about business, they're not talking about the technology of the business. They're talking about the way business is done - things like what should go into a contract, or, perhaps, the path from developer to manufacturer to wholesaler to retail and all the dangers along the way. Some of the details may vary between different types of business, but the general concerns remain very similar. And, when I negotiate with a client, what I'm negotiating remains fairly constant, too.

"I have lead a good life, quiet and artistic,
Now I shall have an old age, coarse and anarchistic."
- Utah Phillips

Sponsored by eHelp Corporation, makers of RoboHelp. RoboHelp 2002 is now available! Get the very latest in Help functionality to create superior Help systems. Get special savings when you buy in January! Visit http://www.ehelp.com/techwr