RE: Round #4263 with the Client From Hell

Subject: RE: Round #4263 with the Client From Hell
From: "Dan Hall" <dhall -at- san-carlos -dot- rms -dot- slb -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 12:40:37 -0600

I don't know how this would play out in Tech Writing,
but my father works for a contractor who contracts
electrical for huge houses in the Beverly Hills
area (40,000+ sq. ft.) These things are like hotels.

Most of the profit on these jobs actually comes from
change orders. When the plan calls for an outlet in
a certain location and the house is 3/4 built, with
the walls closed up, moving the outlet to a new
location involves a major amount of work, and they
charge accordingly. If the changes are caught early
enough in the construction, they are billed as changes,
but usually cost not much more than the original
estimate. Some number of (minor) changes are "free",
and then they charge time and materials on the rest.

Contractors: I'm curious as to how "formalized" your
process for charging for changes is. Do you tell the
client up-front how you will negotiate changes in
scope?

Dan

It is the mark of an educated mind to rest satisfied
with the degree of precision which the nature of the
subject admits and not to seek exactness where only
an approximation is possible. - Aristotle