RE: A brief intro and a question

Subject: RE: A brief intro and a question
From: Kat Nagel <katnagel -at- bluefrognet -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 17:16:38 -0500

At 9:52 AM -0800 1/9/02, Shavon Walker wrote:

If I could find one , believe me, I'd be all over it. Maybe I need to check the
job boards a bit more...

<smile> Read my lips:
Don't depend on job boards. By the time somebody bothers to type the information into the online form, the job listing has already been circulated internally and publicized by word of mouth to every employee, their friends, relatives, and neighbors. Sometimes you'll luck out, but don't limit yourself to mass-market online job searching. Generally, jobs don't get listed on the boards until the company gives up and contracts with a recruiting agency. Take a look at the monster.com listings, for example. Most of them are agency listings. Companies are rarely willing to pay agency fees until they've exhausted other options.

In my experience, the best way of getting an interview is to be referred by someone the hiring manager knows and trusts. So...get to know other techwriters in your job-search area. Go to STC meetings. Go to IEEE and ACM documentation SIG meetings. Take face-to-face courses that are attended by other technical writers, programmers and project managers. Tell everyone you meet---including your vacuum cleaner customers---that you love being a technical writer and are looking for opportunities to put your passion to work. Print up business cards that identify you as a technical writer and hand them out to people who ask you for your email address or phone number. It is possible to do all this without being obnoxious or pushy. It's a valuable skill. Practice.

--
Kat Nagel, who just finished a promising interview with a local company---they got my name from a guy who was a guest of mutual friends for Christmas dinner

MasterWork Consulting Services
Phone (585) 820-4045
Fax (585) 244-3565
Business email katnagel -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com
Personal email katnagel -at- bluefrognet -dot- net

Attention ForeHelp and Doc-to-Help Users! Upgrade your existing product to RoboHelp for FREE, through January 15th. RoboHelp can import your existing Help projects! Learn how else RoboHelp can benefit you. www.ehelp.com/techwr