RE: A brief intro and a question

Subject: RE: A brief intro and a question
From: Kat Nagel <katnagel -at- bluefrognet -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 12:02:09 -0500

--- Kat Nagel <katnagel -at- bluefrognet -dot- net> wrote:
In my experience, the best way of getting an interview is to be
referred by someone the hiring manager knows and trusts. So...get to
know other techwriters in your job-search area. Go to STC meetings.
> Go to IEEE and ACM documentation SIG meetings.

At 3:21 PM -0800 1/9/02, Shavon Walker wrote:
Hmm, I'm not sure what those are, but then again, I'm a newbie, so I'll have to find out soon enough,eh?

Sorry.

IEEE = Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
http://ieeepcs.org/
Their Professional Communication Society is another professional organization that attracts some of the more technically-oriented technical writers.

ACM = Association for Computing Machinery
They have a documentation special interest group, SIGDOC
http://www.acm.org/sigdoc/
---yet another professional association that offers programs and services of interest to technical writers.

There is a lot of overlap among the membership of those two organizations, but not a lot of overlap of either with STC. Like STC, some local chapters are very active and very helpful to newcomers to the profession, and other local chapters can be useless or even hostile. Unfortunately, there's no way to know until you try it out. Whatever the personality of the group, though, the program meetings are often interesting and they are good ways to meet other people who have similar career interests.
--
Kat Nagel
MasterWork Consulting Services

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr