Re: Alone from the start

Subject: Re: Alone from the start
From: CHRISTINE ANAMEIER <CANAMEIE -at- email -dot- usps -dot- gov>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 17:06:58 -0500

Milan Davidovic wrote:
> Has anyone on this list been the lone writer on their
> *very first* job (i.e. working in-house) or project?

I wish. <g>

No, seriously: I realized in my first TW job (contract) that I'd be much
happier as a solo writer or as part of a small writing group without a
real hierarchy in place. In that first job I reported to a senior writer
and we didn't see eye-to-eye on various things, and it was sometimes
frustrating (for both of us, I'm sure).

When interviewing for job #2, I looked for something where I could dig
into some work and have the leeway to do it as I saw fit. I found a
contract where I worked alongside one other writer--as equals--and
management stood back and let us do our jobs. That was peachy. We divvied
up the work, bounced ideas off each other, and picked up ideas from
elements we liked in each other's work. Job #3, about three years into my
TW career, was a solo writer gig--that's when I went looking for Techwr-L
because suddenly there was NOBODY around to discuss TW issues with. (I may
not have wanted a mentor, but I do like having colleagues, especially if
they don't have veto power over my work. <g>) And job #4, my current
position, is the same as job #2. Literally the same: I went back.

> If you had to do it again, would you still plunge in
> or would you wait for a gig that put you in the
> company of other more experienced writers?

If I had to do it again, I would be happy to work alone or in my current
situation. But then, I was and am an opinionated cuss.

Christine

RoboHelp for FREE, through January 15th. RoboHelp can import your existing
Help projects! Learn how else RoboHelp can benefit you. www.ehelp.com/techwr