Re: Online Help for a J2EE server-side application

Subject: Re: Online Help for a J2EE server-side application
From: richard smith <richard -dot- smith -at- windriver -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 10:48:21 -0800

I got out of the original post that her application is a JSP or servlet
based app, not an applet. I *think* her designer was saying that javahelp was
inapproprite becuase it is a client side application|applet. Yes, it probaly
could be done, but that doesn't mean it should be done. One key
point of server side technology is to eliminate such issues as requiring the
user to have a JVM or a plug-in. If the help resides on the server--JSPs,
plain HTML or whatever--the issues of any client side requirements is gone; or
at least no more restrictive than for the application itself.

--
Richard

On Fri, 11 Jan 2002, Joan Goldstein wrote:
> It might all depend on how your applications are implemented. JavaHelp
> does indeed work with applets. We launch our client applets from HTML
> pages that run on a server. Works just fine and we run the JavaHelp in
> the JavaHelp browser. The client user *does* have to install a Java
> Plug-in, but they have to do that to run the applet, not just the help
> system.
>
> Joan Goldstein
> Nortel Networks
>
> Scott Wahl wrote:
>
> > Hi Debra,
> >
> > JavaHelp is not necessarily displayed in a browser
> > (although it can be used with applets).
> >
> > JavaHelp has its own viewer, which does not require a
> > web browser. It works well with standalone and
> > networked Java applications.
> >
> > The dismissial of JavaHelp might be premature. I would
> > download JavaHelp from Sun's web site and take a look
> > at the user guide that comes with it.

RoboHelp for FREE, through January 15th. RoboHelp can import your existing
Help projects! Learn how else RoboHelp can benefit you. www.ehelp.com/techwr