Re: Question about dressing for job interviews

Subject: Re: Question about dressing for job interviews
From: Elna Tymes <Etymes -at- LTS -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 22:35:55 -0800

<Emsahlstein -at- cs -dot- com> wrote...

I'm just getting started looking for a job and I'm wondering what people's opinions are on the following question: Do you have to wear a suit?

According to a large ad in this morning's San Jose Mercury News for a job fair, "no jeans" is specified. Note that it didn't say "wear a suit."

When I talk to clients representing my firm, I don't usually wear a suit unless (1) I'm in San Francisco, and (2) I'm dealing with a non-technical firm, such as a financial institution or some large legal firm or the occasional aberrant technical firm like Siebel, where slacks and white shirts are considered desk wear. That said, however, I usually wear slacks, a blouse or nice tee shirt or sweater, and a jacket. My (male) partner wears the equivalent of khakis, a polo shirt, and a jacket; however he can get away with things like leather bomber's jackets or sport jackets, and if we're interviewing clients in Silicon Valley, he can wear clean, neat jeans.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems

Attention ForeHelp and Doc-to-Help Users! Upgrade your existing product to RoboHelp for FREE, through January 15th. RoboHelp can import your existing Help projects! Learn how else RoboHelp can benefit you. www.ehelp.com/techwr