Re: job interview question: ethical issues about portfolio

Subject: Re: job interview question: ethical issues about portfolio
From: Jo Francis Byrd <jbyrd -at- byrdwrites -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 10:11:08 -0600

I've had the same experiences as Dick. Some places, you can use the materials you created in your portfolio (that being said, I usually DO edit out proprietary information), others....no way, Ho-zay. They just KNOW everybody wants to see this stuff so they can copy the technology, the information. In at least one case, I refrained from saying, "You wish!" Only someone doing SERIOUS drugs would have been interested in that particular software!

Jo Byrd

Dick Margulis wrote:

Bonita,

Not everyone shares your good fortune. I did work I was quite proud of for a large corporation (on a contract that ended on good terms). Despite the project manager's advocating for me with the corporate counsel, the company would not budge, no matter how I disguised names, numbers, and other identifying information.

In short, YMMV.

Dick

PS: That didn't stop me from getting my next (better) job. It just meant I couldn't use the samples I wanted to use.

Attention ForeHelp and Doc-to-Help Users! Upgrade your existing product to RoboHelp for FREE, through January 15th. RoboHelp can import your existing Help projects! Learn how else RoboHelp can benefit you. www.ehelp.com/techwr