Re: Technical Writers Needed for API Doc: Really?

Subject: Re: Technical Writers Needed for API Doc: Really?
From: Victoria Camgros <vcamgros -at- persistence -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 10:06:22 -0800

At 11:47 PM 1/11/2002 -0800, Andrew Plato wrote:

<snip!>

API guides are mostly raw information
intended for a very limited audience that is looking for specific
information. API guides don't need to be particularly "friendly." Its
just a matter of getting all the functions, classes, and whatever
documented.

So, do most of the whirlers agree that API guides==reference material?

When I document an API, I typically develop both a reference (classes, methods, basic use) and a "programming guide". The latter covers the API from the POV of programmer's tasks or problems. It presents conceptual material and procedures. The reference is the "quick look up" document that many on this list have mentioned.

So, is my approach weird, or are you all just calling it something else?

regards,
V.

Attention ForeHelp and Doc-to-Help Users! Upgrade your existing product to RoboHelp for FREE, through January 15th. RoboHelp can import your existing Help projects! Learn how else RoboHelp can benefit you. www.ehelp.com/techwr