Re: What about the client's needs? (was: What would Andrew do)

Subject: Re: What about the client's needs? (was: What would Andrew do)
From: ccallen -at- beckman -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 11:35:15 -0800

>My other point, which has been totally lost in this endless "process good,
chaos bad" debate was that broadcasting your problems to a public forum is
not always a good idea. As I said, if I was Elna's client and I found out
she was broadcasting the details of our lawsuit to a public forum, I would
be very angry.

I am puzzled over Andrew's repeated insistence that Elna's relating of this
experience was somehow "wrong" or unprofessional. It was intended to remind us
to be prepared because there are sometimes very difficult clients out there, and
there was no hint of whining or self-rightousness in her post. (But even if she
just felt the need to vent--as sometimes happens on all lists--there was nothing
wrong about her message.) She obviously took all of the steps available to
satisfy the client and meet the requirements of the contract. There was
absolutely no revelation of the CFH identity anywhere in her post--she is way
too savvy a businessperson to make that kind of slip.

>Beyond that - if you have a process and it works: good. If you think your
process is perfect: you're wrong. Process can NEVER replace intelligence.

There was also no indication that Elna is convinced of the infallability of her
processes. She HAS demonstrated over the years, through her always insightful,
helpful, professional (and nonjudgemental) posts, that she has plenty of
intelligence combined with processes that have served her company well over the
long haul. Her company is among the most respected in the Bay Area (and no doubt
beyond).

By the way, I don't know her, except by her reputation in the area and by her
excellent posts to this list.

Cheers,
Carma
ccallen -at- beckman -dot- com