Re: Editing Marks - Please Help!!!

Subject: Re: Editing Marks - Please Help!!!
From: "Ivan Weiss" <ivan -dot- weiss -at- centurytel -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 16:14:46 -0800

"Bruce Byfield" <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com> wrote in message
news:<3C3F199F -dot- 9050602 -at- axionet -dot- com>...
> Ivan Weiss wrote:
>
> |I wouldn't edit or proofread hard copy your way on a bet, but that's
> |because I'm thoroughly comfortable in the traditional style.
> |
> You're missing the point: editing isn't about what you're comfortable
> with - it's about what the writer you're editing is comfortable with.
> Standard proof reading marks are efficient once you learn them, but if

> the person you're working with doesn't understand them, you're wasting

> your efforts.

I don't think we disagree, really. Standard proofreading marks are used
pretty widely. My daughter's 4th-grade class is learning them. Plenty of
Web sites list proofreading marks, which could be printed out. Or, the
list from the Chicago Manual of Style could be photocopied for any
writer who didn't know what they meant.

But if I thought insisting on standard proofreading marks might hold up
a project, I like to think I'd be flexible enough to change, if that was
the fastest way through a logjam.

I suppose the best thing would be to check with the writer beforehand,
and work accordingly. I have no problem with that. If I can't adapt to
situations like that, I shouldn't be doing this. Still, I'd guess
standard proofreading marks would suffice in most cases.
--
Ivan Weiss http://www.nwguild.org
Vashon WA http://www.unionrecord.com