Re: job interview question: ethical issues about portfolio

Subject: Re: job interview question: ethical issues about portfolio
From: Askrycek -at- cs -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 20:06:45 EST

Here's a related question: Does anyone see anything wrong with putting pieces
in your portfolio that were collaborative efforts with other writers-

The reason I ask is: The first time I compiled a portfolio, I only included
work that was entirely my own. This wasn't hard because I was new to the
field back then, so I created documents specifically for the portfolio. Since
then I've had only one job, and -- maybe this is typical -- but just about
every book and chapter I worked on there was inherited from someone else, or
else I worked on it as part of a team...

So, if you're creating a portfolio that you'd like to be able to leave with
the interviewers to review at their leisure (I've been asked to do this at
two out of four interviews), is there any danger of getting nailed for
including items that aren't entirely your own? Since you won't be there to
explain the authorship, should you be concerned about any ambiguity, or would
an explanatory note at the top of the sample be sufficient to take care of
this problem?

thanks, avery