Instructor-Led Training Manual

Subject: Instructor-Led Training Manual
From: "Sue" <skirk -at- iprimus -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 11:06:38 +1000

Not quite sure what kind of documentation you are going to create, but I
tend to write "Learning Guides" for most instructional material. The
reason being, they can be used with an instructor or without if
required. I find that because I am also an instructor I tend to write
from that vantage. Nothing worse than picking up some instructional
material for a course that takes you months to research. So learning
guides tend to help you structure the material for easier understanding
(for the instructor as well as the learner)

As an instructor I also prefer to write my own material I have never run
a course yet (except self paced) where I have used the textbook or
reference material supplied. It is just given to the learner as a
reference and is part of the cost of the course. That stands even if it
has been been written specifically for the course, mainly because they
are too long and heavy for short 1 day courses.

In my opinion the differences are:

Instructor led

You don’t have to concentrate too heavily on writing for the various
learning styles of the students - the instructor can and will adapt the
lessons accordingly
You can include more discussion type learning activities
You can include case studies
You can include more resources such as videos, PowerPoint shows that can
be explained by an instructor
You don’t have to keep reminding learners of outcomes within the
material, the instructor will hammer this home
Make it more task orientated and less theory centered, the instructor
can cover the theory, most learners will NOT read anything longer than a
paragraph, in an instructor led class, they want to be spoon fed.

Self Paced

Should be written in small chunks with checkpoints usually in the form
of questions to make sure the learner is constantly reviewing and
getting feedback (self-assessment)Will need to include the answers of
course multiple choice questions are always good for this.
You need to make sure the learner is always aware of the outcomes not
only for the whole course but for the topic in question so that they
stay focused on what learning is required
Include lots of activity to generate interest as self paced learning is
sometimes done in isolation
Keep it very simple. I know this goes for anything but more so with
self paced especially if the subject is complex, learners will give up
more readily in self paced if they do not have constant interest,
activity and self assessment

HTH if you need anything further, please let me know.

"Now I know why I drift aimlessly along....."
Susan Kirk
Information Developer
http://home.iprimus.com.au/skirk/Resume.html

RoboHelp for FREE, through January 15th. RoboHelp can import your existing
Help projects! Learn how else RoboHelp can benefit you. www.ehelp.com/techwr