Re: Seeking an end-user term for a browser-side save

Subject: Re: Seeking an end-user term for a browser-side save
From: Karenm -at- proactive -dot- dk
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 11:56:42 +0100

Steve Reynolds is looking for terminology for retaining data selected or
entered in a web page dialog:
"Some of our screens incorporate what appears to be the HTML equivalent of
the dialog boxes we see in conventional desktop applications. For example,
if you want to add someone's contact details to a table of contact details,
you click Add and a "dialog box" layer appears. If you type contact
information into this dialog box and click OK, the layer disappears and a
new contact line appears in the contacts list...
However, we recognise that we risk confusing users who might expect"OK" to
effect a save. The simplest solution for us would therefore be to
replace OK with a suitable alternative. We use the "dialog box" approach in
a number of situations, not just adding lines to tables, and our
application
is both large and configurable. So we are looking for a generic term. "To
be
saved", "Confirm", and the few other ideas we have come up with seem weak
cop outs."

We use this too and call it "web page dialog". It pops up when you click
"Add" or "Change" buttons on the particular web page.
When you fill in or select whatever it is you want on the web page dialog,
you click the "Add to Table" button. There is also a "Close Window" button
for closing that particular dialog.

Hope this helps.

regards, Karen Mardahl

RoboHelp for FREE, through January 15th. RoboHelp can import your existing
Help projects! Learn how else RoboHelp can benefit you. www.ehelp.com/techwr