Training in Speaking (was: What should I wear for a phone intervi ew?)

Subject: Training in Speaking (was: What should I wear for a phone intervi ew?)
From: bryan -dot- westbrook -at- amd -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 11:09:20 -0600

Quite a bit:

In high school, I took a speech class, had the lead in a radio play (actually broadcast on the local FM), a supporting part in another one, the lead in a reader's theatre presentation, and parts in both of our class plays. My campaign speech is probably what won me the student council presidency.

In college (undergrad), I had the mandatory speech class plus a class in oral interpretation (reading out loud). My minor was drama, and I was in several plays (and even directed a one-act). I should have been Lear's Fool, but was cheated out of the part (through "affirmative acting" casting) even though my audition was better than the performance the other actor gave after months of rehearsal.

Now as a grad student, I am beginning my speech communication cognate tonight.

After I finish my M.A., I hope to get involved with some sort of community theatre group (and maybe someday finish writing my play).