RE: What should I wear for a phone interview? LONG

Subject: RE: What should I wear for a phone interview? LONG
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 13:00:25 -0500

John,

Excellent question! After all, if we are supposed to be technical
communicators it should be more than just coherent paragraphs and snazzy
graphics.

I too did the high school debate thing, although I was abysmal at it.

If you want a way to improve public speaking and presentation skills that
doesn't cost as much as college courses, consider joining a local chapter of
the U.S. Junior Chamber (Jaycees). I learned more about public speaking,
training, and presentations working as a member of this group than all my
college courses put together. And it is incidentally, a great way to
network--it's how I got into the tech writing business in the first place!

Regards

Connie P. Giordano
Senior Technical Writer
Advisor Technology Services
A Fidelity Investments Company
704-330-2069
704-330-2350 (f)
connie -dot- giordano -at- fmr -dot- com

"Rules are for people who don't know how to get around them." - Tori
Harrison

[SNIP]
I'd like to introduce something that has never been discussed on this
list. We talk about knowing tools, knowing technical concepts,
knowing how to deal with associates. Something that has never been
discussed which I find invaluable is knowing how to speak. Not
knowing how to talk, but to speak. You speak during review sessions.
You speak when you are trying to convince someone(s) to give you
budget. You speak in conference calls.

Has anyone had specific training for this and what was it? I for one,
during HS, was involved in debating and other competition speaking
engagements between schools. Anyone else? How about Toastmasters?
Sales training (me...18 years sales)

=====
John Posada, Senior Technical Writer

RoboHelp for FREE, through January 15th. RoboHelp can import your existing
Help projects! Learn how else RoboHelp can benefit you. www.ehelp.com/techwr