RE: Toastmasters

Subject: RE: Toastmasters
From: "Barry Kieffer" <Barry -dot- Kieffer -at- worldwidepackets -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 15:56:09 -0800

Kim is right about this, truly listening is an important skill.

Interviewing should be about conversation. Interviewing is not interrogation. Interviewing is not Q&A. Even at interviews that I have had where a panel of four have hard copy to deliver questions from, I always make the questions into a conversation by first acknowledging the validity question, answering the question, and then bringing the question-asker into a brief conversation and trying to engage others in dialogue.

Example:
The question asker asks: "Tell me about a time where you had an SME that was impossible to work with." Draw the others into the conversation by admitting that as professionals at some time or another we have all had to face this challenge. The go on to recount a brief instance where we faced this challenge and how we resolved it, or at least were able to get our job done. Then ask if that is a common occurrence "here", drawing others into a conversation.

--Barry Kieffer