Fw: Does Dungeons and Dragons make technical writers?

Subject: Fw: Does Dungeons and Dragons make technical writers?
From: "Faith Wallis" <fawallis -at- home -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 07:21:19 -0600

This is a great way for me to introduce myself :-)

While in college, I learned about D&D and other various games of the same
genre. I was studying to be an English teacher. Decided to ditch the
teaching idea and didn't quite know where I fit into the working world. I
found technical writing by a happy accident.

And yes, I still play the games today...

I would say that Fantasy Roleplaying Games (games like D&D are
given this category) seem to help spur imagination and problem solving
skills that are very useful to a technical writer (also to programmers and
others who work in the tech field).

I have seen roleplaying games and miniatures games (games that use small
lead/pewter figures to represent warriors on a playing board, recreating
wars) used in classrooms and training. I would like to see more of it, but
fear that
different organizations might have problems with them being used there
(religious organizations immediately come to mind...no flames please...)

Faith Wallis