Use of Simplified or Controlled English

Subject: Use of Simplified or Controlled English
From: David Versdahl <David -dot- Versdahl -at- watchguard -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 07:42:10 -0800

We are seriously considering the use of simplified or controlled English.
Our international audience continues to grow and we want to make certain
that our message is clearly understood and this seems a reasonable approach.

Our research has uncovered a number of approaches and companies that purvey
products, standards, and approaches to the process. We are comfortable with
this information but are looking for feedback and details from the folks
actually involved in the process.

The archives reveal some information and I had the pleasure of meeting and
talking with one person who provided some very helpful information.

For those of you using a simplified or controlled English regimen how is it
working? Does it meet not only the needs of your customers but you and the
rest of your staff? What is the learning curve? What implementation
difficulties have you encountered? Is it worth the effort?

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

David Versdahl
Instructional Designer
Courseware Developer
WatchGuard Technologies, Inc.
david -dot- versdahl -at- watchguard -dot- com
206.521.8367