RE: Writing Course for Developers

Subject: RE: Writing Course for Developers
From: Marguerite Krupp <mkrupp -at- cisco -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 16:43:09 -0500

I've kind of done this...; it was for a mixed group of techies.

First, if possible, ask them what would help them deal with what they have
to write. Get a list of what they write - better yet, ask them for examples.
Look at where the problems are, then you'll have a good part of your course
material.

Remember that presentations are a big part of what techies write, as are
emails. If you can show them a better way to deal with emails, you'll go a
long way toward improving their writing overall.

Humor helps. I once shocked an audience by physically cutting up an overhead
projector transparency that was too dense.

Two books come to mind:

_ Edit yourself_ by Ross Larsen (Check the spelling.)
_ Writing for Results_, two authors, whose names, unfortunately, I've
forgotten.

Neither is explicitly technical, but both address common writing problems.
Once you've gotten a list of the "top 10" things to address, introduce some
design issues that can help with communication. And remember to remind them
what's in it for them. If they can communicate their ideas better, they'll
get more recognition for them, as well as fewer hassles from their managers
and the tech writers.

Marguerite