RE: Does Dungeons and Dragons make technical writers?

Subject: RE: Does Dungeons and Dragons make technical writers?
From: Brainwise <brainwise -at- home -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 09:08:51 -0500

I'm suffering from index-lag, but I hope you folks will pardon one more
meandering post on this thread.

I, too, admit that I was a D&D (or AD&D) enthusiast. I have also played
other games that either followed it or tried to compete with it: RuneQuest,
Fantasy Wargaming, DC Superheroes, Champions, Shadowrun, and a little
something that was effectively a kit-bashed combo of Star Frontiers, Gamma
World, Traveler and Top Secret.

While I have not read "Latin For All Occasions," I do own copies of "A
Well-Tempered Sentence" and "The Transitive Vampire." ;)

And of course I recommend Musashi's "A Book of Five Rings." (Ryukyu Kenpo
and Fitness Kickboxing instructor at your service here.)

Oh, and Syed, thanks for plugging "Galatea 2.2," I've added it to my
reading list.

I do not believe that my gaming background led me to technical writing
because, well, I was always interested in writing. But I seemed to have
forgotten about writing while I pursued a degree in Physics. I did
eventually graduate with that degree, but I cannot say I excelled at it. I
did, however, excel at helping various grad students organize, prepare and
write their theses papers. This exercise helped me realize that I was a
much better writer than scientist. Fortunately, there was time enough for
me to pick up minors in English and Technical Writing to accompany my
degree. And time enough for me to discover the technical writing
profession.

But I can definitely say that have benefited from my experience in gaming --
and Martial Arts. I have learned how to work with groups of people in which
talent and ego are not necessarily doled out in equal portions. I have
learned how to survive within a new and diverse group -- how to make a
compromise seem like each "opposing" party has won. And I know that a
decent heavy bag in the basement (or a vorpal blade on my character sheet)
is the best remedy for a stressful day.

Oh, and before I forget to say it: Geeks Rule! : )

Brian Weis
Senior Technical Writer
24/7 Real Media
brian -dot- weis -at- 247realmedia -dot- com

P.S. Y'know, it's interesting that the games -- and the quality of their
reference materials -- come up as a subject here shortly after I found my
long-forgotten gaming supplies still stored away at my parents' house. I'll
bet my wife will be SO pleased that I have even more books to bring into the
house we bought last year!