RE: Reality check

Subject: RE: Reality check
From: "Secara, Maggie" <Maggie -dot- Secara -at- indymacbank -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 13:21:30 -0800

Well, the one particular company I'm thinking of, and its product, were/are
not nearly as big as Microsoft. Just a small group that had been developing
and releasing this product for a fairly small niche market (maintenance
management) for about 10 years at the time I started. There were bugs, of
course. As someone said earlier, there's no such thing as a bug-free
release. I spent some time on Release Notes. And sometiems Sales promised
things they had no business promising. But as a writer, I have seldom or
never been treated as well, in terms of being included as part of the
development team. I hated to leave 15 months ago, but they moved the
company 250 miles away and I just didn't think I could deal with the
commute! :)

When I first started there, I couldn't believe the deadline wasn't going to
get pushed out. But it didn't And although I did put in a few late nights
in the last week, we did it. No one was more surprised than I.

All the other software-related projects (and "all" is not that many this
past year) I've been on have been contracts and had firm due dates which
were met.

Maggie