Gray hair and first impressions

Subject: Gray hair and first impressions
From: wordsync -at- swbell -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 23:4:21

Greetings all! I've noticed several posts about dressing for interviews,
so
I don't suppose my question is out of line. I'm a 47-year-old editor with
eleven plus years of editing experience (technical to marketing fields).
My
hair is brown mixed with gray (a lot of gray--maybe 50%). I don't look my
age even with gray hair, but I can look ten years younger if I color my
hair. While one would hope that qualifications count more than appearance
or
age when interviewing for a job, I know that a first impression is
important. I would like to ask you women out there if you've run into bias
because of age or the fact that your hair is gray. I would also like to
ask
any men on the list who are in hiring positions to weigh in on the matter.

One might make the case that if you can look younger by coloring your hair
you should do it; however, I don't like the drying effect it has on my
hair.
Funny how something that seems so trivial can have an effect on whether or
not you get a job!

I've enjoyed reading all the discussion threads, and I'm envious of the
great quotes some of you have added to your posts. : ) By the way, I'm a
sci-fi freak too--anyone else into The Wheel of Time series?

Pat Glass
still trying to find herself, even at her age
wordsync -at- swbell -dot- net