RE: Word _Please Help

Subject: RE: Word _Please Help
From: awyatt -at- dcomp -dot- com (Allen L. Wyatt)
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 07:20:36 -0500

Doc Writer said:
Can someone please tell me why you like using Word? Or, why companies still
use this tool for documentation? Is it only because Frame is expensive? Is
it because everyone has Word, so it's more compatible to send
electronically? I've suggested that they send pdfs to customers, etc., but
they want to be able to change items as needed. <scream!>

Allen says:
People use Word because it is, all things considered, a good word processor.
It has its problems, and it is not the best word processor, but it is good.
It is also widely available and easy to get. I don't think expense has much
to do with it, as purchasing Word outright is nowhere near cheap.

That being said, it sounds like your company is trying to use Word for page
layout and design. That is a mistake. Word is a word processor that has some
layout and design features, but they are not the main purpose of the
program. They should process words in Word, use a DTP program for page
layout and design, and finally go to PDF for final "publication." (The fact
that they want changes to items by customers means that you aren't dealing
with a final publication yet.)

Your frustration seems to have its roots in two areas. First, I get the
impression that you don't come from a "Word background." It is not your
program of choice. That is fine, but a lack of understanding of the program
does not make Word a poor program. You can work through this frustration by
jumping into the deep end of the pool and sticking it out until you know
Word every which way.

The second frustration seems to be with numbering and lists. These are
areas, quite honestly, where many people consider Word "broken." Even Word
experts have problems with numbering and lists. I believe it is best to look
for third-party fixes for this area, rather than master the intricacies
yourself and run the risk of having someone else break the lists again. I
would suggest the following third-party fix. It is only $20 and it really
does work.

http://store.vitalnews.com/outliner.html

Good luck on learning Word. Hopefully this 2 cents of advice will be
helpful.

-Allen Wyatt

Learn the tools of the trade! Get WordTips and ExcelTips for free.
http://www.VitalNews.com/WordTips/
http://www.ExcelTips.com/