Re: Language Check List

Subject: Re: Language Check List
From: wordsync -at- swbell -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 18:35:11 -0700

>Dick Margolis said:
If you want to talk to a manager about the fit-and-finish issues that
drive copyeditors mad, maybe talk to the marketing director or the
corporate communications manager, who might actually care about these
superficialities as much as I do ;-) Otherwise, you will just be seen as
annoying and trivial.

~~~~~

You're right, these items do drive copyeditors mad, because we love, love,
love consistency, clarity, and correctness! Speaking for myself (and with
tongue in cheek), I don't consider these things "annoying or trivial." I
consider language sacred (oh yeah!), and anything I can do to make the
written word less annoying to the reader (notice I didn't say writer!)
makes me a happy and satisfied editor. (Like writers, however, editors
must keep in mind the audience for and the potential use of the material
in question.)

That said, however, most companies do find those of us who insist on
correct word usage and proper grammar and punctuation annoying and
trivial, and that is why our positions are always the first ones
eliminated in times of cut-back (making me a sad and unsatisfied editor).