Keep health records private? (Was: Gray hair, etc)

Subject: Keep health records private? (Was: Gray hair, etc)
From: Linda Hughes <lhughes -at- novametrix -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 08:52:17 -0500

Hi All:

One little comment on this thread just got my immediate attention:

<snip>
Subject: Re: Gray hair and first impressions
From: Annamaria Profit <inteltek2 -at- earthlink -dot- net>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 07:47:54 -0500

Pat,

Dying your hair would help with the interview impressions, but every
company is doing credit checks now, and even if you have great credit, your
birthdate is on the top right hand corner of the report. That gives them
access to most of your personal records, including health insurance claims.
So if they're screening for age or health issues, which most are, you will
be eliminated.
</snip>

Are health records really routinely checked at hiring time? My company was
sold recently. It looks like our jobs are safe as a separate division, but
there's no guarantees. The sale is final in the spring.

My question is this: I'm currently under treatment by a psychotherapist for
anxiety and depression. Now, I'm fully aware that those condition are simply
a function of negative body chemistry, usually caused by stress (adrenal
exhaustion, cortisol overload, etc.), but I doubt my enlightened attitude is
common out in the real world. In my case, the anxiety and depression are
mostly situational. Pardon my getting personal on the list, but I discovered
my husband had been having an affair for two years. No matter how rock solid
one is, that'll kick you over the edge.

As yet, I haven't submitted my bills to the insurance company for
reimbursement (80%). Should I seriously consider eating a few thousand in
therapy bills rather than having this appear on my health record when it's
possible I may be job hunting soon? Does anyone have anecdotes, or
experience in a personnel department?

TIA,

Linda
Novametrix Medical Systems Inc.