Apology Re: A grammer question

Subject: Apology Re: A grammer question
From: "Peggy Richardson of mer-it.com" <techwrl -at- mer-it -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 12:07:10 -0800

Eric, and Wrlr's,
My apologies to the group. As per Eric's suggestion below, I hereby acknowledge and explain my recent posting. I will of course ensure that such comments do not happen again.

Once again, this is a good example of how it is difficult to convey the context of a remark accurately in email. My motivations were in no way sinister: I honestly meant it purely in jest, to offer a lighthearted remark. This sometimes seems needed in the midst of a serious discussion. I also failed to read the regular posting that Eric makes reference to below, which included the rule about commenting on spelling and usage errors.

I sincerely hope that no members of the group were offended by my joke, or think less of me because of it. Peter especially, please forgive me for my error in judgement.
-Peggy Richardson

On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, Peggy
Richardson of mer-it.com wrote:

> Is this meant to be a question about Kelsey *Grammer*, or about English
> *grammar*? :o)
>
> At 06:24 PM 1/21/02 -0800, you wrote:
> >Techwrlers
> >
> >Of the following sentences:
> >1. "The widget is associated to the gadget."
> >2. "The widget is associated with the gadget."
> >
> >Are both of these gramatically correct?
> >I have the feeling that the first one is
> >incorrect, but can't explain why.
> >
> >TIA,
> >Pete (pkleczka -at- yahoo -dot- com)

At 06:16 AM 1/22/02 -0500, Eric J. Ray wrote:

Peggy,
Please note the rules (most recently posted within hours
before you wrote this note):
Specifically, note:
* Take issue with ideas, not personalities, and do
NOT point out grammatical, spelling, or usage errors.
This forum is not the place to exercise editorial
frustration.
Please acknowledge, explain, and ensure that this does
not happen again.
Eric