RE: Anyone Hide Easter Eggs in Docs?

Subject: RE: Anyone Hide Easter Eggs in Docs?
From: Sue Ahrenhold <SAhrenhold -at- IpdSolution -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 10:55:56 -0500

>>Naturally I checked what the dummy
>>screen looked like, and discovered that one of the developers had put in a
>>screen that said "OH NO! You have hit the SELF-DESTRUCT! Your computer
will
>>be DESTROYED in 10 seconds! 10, 9, 8..."

In the dark ages (before PCs), I was the 3rd system administrator/data
manager on a mini-computer system for a major national information
organization.

We had a lot of backlog to cope with, and hired some temps to help out. The
second day, one of the temps suddenly burst into tears and rushed from the
building without speaking to anyone. I shortly got an irate call from her
agency about harassment, etc.
Evidently, a programmer sales person had coded in the message:

**** OFF AND DIE, WORM!

into the system as an easter egg (not with asterisks), which was generated
by a bizarre set of key strokes. No one ever removed this. Two years later,
this was still hanging around, and cost me several hours of invested
training time.

I did'nt think it was funny, either.