24-hour clock

Subject: 24-hour clock
From: CHAI-ELSHOLZ Raeleen <raeleen -dot- chai-elsholz -at- auditec-newtest -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 11:28:16 +0100

Hello. I'm a tech writer being used to translate software manuals from
French into English.

The text I'm working on now explains that a "week" extends from Monday at
0:00 to Sunday midnight.

For me, that means the week goes from Monday 0:00 to Monday 0:00, but this
raised some mocking objections. The French says Monday 0:00 to Sunday 24:00.
Where did this extra hour come from? It SEEMS clear to say "Sunday 24:00",
but FEELS like bad math!

Can anyone tell me whether it is standard usage - in English - to have two
names for midnight (i.e. 0:00 of the following day AND 24:00 of the
preceding day)?

All of you other English speakers, how would you do the numbers for this?
Unfortunately, they don't want me to use the word "midnight", which would
have solved the problem.

Thanks.