Re: Question on direct quotes

Subject: Re: Question on direct quotes
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 11:07:38 -0700

Hannah wrote

> If there are enough changes that make it
> obvious to someone referencing the quote, add a note stating that the quote
> has been edited for clarity and may not be a direct duplicate of the
> original.

The Chicago manual may support this methodology, but will it win an RFP?

The proposals and RFP responses I issue are legally binding - to imply or
state that a question as quoted differs from the original could throw up
red flags. With some of the more anal companies (and there are some,
believe me) some twit might take umbrage to that statement and eliminate a
bid, based on a comment like that.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think Jason (who probably has his own copy of the
Chicago manual, or something similar - most of us do) was asking what the
SMART thing to do was, not the CORRECT thing to do. And that's a question
of context.

In an RFP situation, the last thing you want to do is alienate the company
that issued the RFP. It's a delicate issue, and worthy of consideration
when making decisions like these.

- Keith Cronin

To me, boxing is like a ballet, except there's no music, no choreography,
and the dancers hit each other.

- Jack Handy