RE: Development Procedures - where do you come in?

Subject: RE: Development Procedures - where do you come in?
From: jgarison -at- ide -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 16:20:05 -0500

Interesting topic, Peggy, and one where I hope there will be near unanimity.

At my company, writers are involved in just about every stage of design and
development. We develop our software products using cross-functional teams -
writers, developers, QA, and Product Managers all work together to define
what it is we're going to do, how we're going to do it, and then work
together to get it all done. It has support from the top of the company
down, and we can't imagine working any other way. As a result, we have been
highly productive and the product is well received.

This approach works for several reasons - it brings many varied viewpoints
to bear on the problem early; it uses people's different strengths and
perspectives to analyze the situation, and when we are in the middle of
deciding what we going to be doing, we all know it's realistic and makes
sense. It makes it much easier to estimate how long things will take too,
and we have rarely missed a deadline by more than a few days.

So ... put me in the "as early as possible, and it's not possible to be too
early" camp.

John

John Garison
Documentation Manager