Re: dreaded part of the job

Subject: Re: dreaded part of the job
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 07:07:36 -0500

Kathy,

I'm not sure there is any administrative or other task that is in and of itself demeaning. I think it is the presumptious attitude of the person making the request that is demeaning. "Say, Kathy, I'm really swamped here, and I'm having a caffeine fit. As long as you're going that way, could you grab me a cuppa coffee?" is different from, "Kathy, I expect you to bring me coffee, because my time is more valuable than your time"; but both involve the same "task."

We all get offended when clueless managers abuse their subordinates, but I think it's the transaction that is demeaning, not the task.

Just my two cents.

Dick

Kathy Li wrote:

Speaking of most dreaded parts of the job, does anyone have a demeaning
administrative task that they've been asked to
perform? my manager asked me once to fill out the hours he clocked for
various customers.....I was stunned.