RE: Search engines: the issue explained

Subject: RE: Search engines: the issue explained
From: "Darren Barefoot" <darren -dot- barefoot -at- capeclear -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 14:19:08 -0000

Thanks for the article...it's a good introduction to search engines. If
anyone's explored how to optimize your site's positioning in search
results, you'll know that it's not as easy as it sounds.

This article also highlights one of my pet peeves about the mainstream,
non-software-industry media (as a disclaimer, the following is
applicable to technical writers because they frequently contribute to
this media). Newspapers and magazines generally don't include URLs for
Web sites, even if the articles are specifically about a site or an
online issue. In the case of this article, despite the fact this was
about various search engines, no text regarding their URLs appearing in
the body of the article. So, the sentence:

"It depends on the search engine. Some, like HotBot, have indexed most
of the words on each page."

Should, more helpfully, read:

"It depends on the search engine. Some, like HotBot (www.hotbot.com),
have indexed most of the words on each page."

I know they list the URLs at the bottom of the Web page, but I'll bet
that was only in the online edition. Thanks. DB.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/theissues/article/0,6512,639441,00.html

Jane Carnall
Apologies for the long additional sig: it is added automatically and
outwith my control.