pondering page numbers

Subject: pondering page numbers
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <SGallagher -at- akonix -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 11:26:59 -0800

I am about to plan a printed manual for the first time in
about six years. I also plan to deliver in pdf. My questions
are these:

*Has anybody reset the margins between paper and pdf versions
of a manual so that the print version is 7 x 9 or thereabouts
and the pdf is full page and printer friendly? Are users
accepting of a tactic like this or do the discrepancies in
page numbers befuddle them? Is this worth thinking about, or
more of a PITA than it's worth?

*Has anybody abandoned the roman-numerals-for-frontmatter
routine and actually started a manual on --what???-- page 5
or so -- so that the page numbers (which, in this case would
be continuous) match the page numbers that Acrobat reader
displays?

And Dick M. -- WTF is a tip-in??? Inquiring minds wanna know!
;-)

-Sue Gallagher
sgallagher -at- akonix -dot- com