RE: Pagination with inter-chapter pages

Subject: RE: Pagination with inter-chapter pages
From: "Dick Margulis " <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 15:39:06 -0500

Kevin,

When you've got a stack of a couple hundred page negatives to impose onto flats, it's helpful to know which one goes where. A blind folio tells you. (A blind folio is a circled, usually handwritten, number outside the printing area of the negative.)

If a page is not counted, what are you going to mark it as, "this page goes between pages 74 and 75"? That seems cumbersome to me.

As for binderies, they need to know what order the signatures go in. Numbers help. They used to use catchwords (look it up), and we still mark sigs in the trim area with some kind of sequencing information, at least most places.

Y'know, craft practices evolve over time to solve technical problems. They aren't there just to make old fogeys like me happy. So just count the damn pages and be done with it, I sez.

Dick