RE: where do docs fit in the development process?

Subject: RE: where do docs fit in the development process?
From: KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 10:36:07 -0500

Susie P.,

We are roughly your size, and we sell hardware and
software, for which we make SDKs *and* end-user stuff,
so I (as lone writer) deal with docs for both.

With one or two (best forgotten...) excursions, I
have been part of our Product Verification (PV)
department. This is a very happy arrangement. I
have a natural "in" during the early stages of a
project, as our PV team gets invited to participate
soon after the "I just had a great idea!" stage. :-)

We do have product line managers for our products
and projects, and they get to write up the specs.
The specs include customer dodumentation requirements.
The PV manager and I review and modify those specs,
in co-operation with the originator. The person who
handles creation and management of our Bills of Material
(BoMs) also works for the PV manager. So that's
another check and balance on "what documentation
goes with which project".

The spec documents are not huge things. They have
just enough detail to convey the requirements.
They often refer to previous product specs and
list just the changes and additions, as well as
prioritizing all requirements and identifying all
"issues" from previous releases that must be
fixed/addressed for the coming release. Often,
those have already BEEN addressed in the interim,
but putting them in the spec ensures tracking
and closure.

I just recently finished a release, in which we
ran a "documentation improvement" project with
our Customer Support group. Everybody is happy
with how that turned out. I was amazed... rather
than each individually review a doc and hand me
a marked-up copy, they did their reviews, did
their mark-ups, then met with the Product Manager
and mushed it all together into one (relatively)
cohesive "suggested" document. I then met with
them and we very quickly dealt with just that one
doc (this was for install and setup... we'll do
the config and integration doc for that product
another time). I implemented the revised version
and put in the relevant detail for the new product
release, and everybody is happy. Worked out
really well. What a bunch! :-)

Of course, I get a lot of other requests for little
doc-lets.... one-page Tech Notes, special-purpose
thingies, edits of other people's stuff, etc.
My standard reaction is "Sounds good. Why don't
you put that in an e-mail, and CC: Diane (the PV
manager)?"

In fact, I don't accept purely verbal requests.
If it's from somebody at the top, then *I* write
the e-mail, saying: "Is this what you meant?"
And I don't act until I get confirmation that
the requester and I agree on what, exactly is
wanted.

When I get something via e-mail, I always ask
the necessary questions to nail down the scope
and the hoped-for delivery date (which could
very well be "tomorrow morning"). By keeping it
all in writing, we ensure that:

a) we all agree on what is wanted

b) my boss(es) know what's on my plate and
can intercede to negotiate any re-scheduling
that might become necessary

c) nothing gets forgotten, with two or more
people involved in the scheduling and the