RE: where do docs fit in the development process?

Subject: RE: where do docs fit in the development process?
From: quills -at- airmail -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 11:48:22 -0600

At 9:37 AM -0800 1/28/02, Andrew Plato wrote:

"Susie Pearson" <spearson -at- espial -dot- com>

OK -- so how am I supposed to be finished documenting at the exact time
they
are finished working on the SDK? That is where I'm having a problem.
No
one tells me about changes, and when I'm juggling 3+ products, I don't
always have time to approach every single engineer to ask them what has
changed.

This is why you need to understand the product and technology inside and
out. You should be working AHEAD of the engineers. Documenting stuff
before they even coded it. Its not insane if you understand what they are
doing and you have an established relationship with the engineers.

This is not a reasonable assumption. No it is an assumption, according to the cliche. It makes an Ass out of you and me.

If you document ahead of the engineers, and with as little design documentation as Susie has stated, then you will be on the wrong track a good portion of the time.

Document it before they code it and it is wrong.

I wish that my jobs would work like that. Just tell the programmers to code according to how the documentation is written. Wrong idea.

Scott