Looks like we'll have to agree...

Subject: Looks like we'll have to agree...
From: Susie Pearson <spearson -at- espial -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 12:58:23 -0500

to disagree.

Sorry, I'm not asking for anyone to hand me a process, I'm asking my peers
how documentation projects are kicked off at their company. I would like to
compare how things are done (or not done) at my company to how things are
done elsewhere. I could use this feedback to try and institute some sort of
process here that would make things a little smoother on our docs department
(both of us!) Part of the problem stems from the fact that I was gone for 9
months, and upon my return, when reading the docs to get back up to speed, I
saw that my replacement had made some grievous errors and ommissions in the
documentation that went completely unnoticed, although a whole bunch of ppl
signed off on the docs (the managers signed off saying "Yes, this is what I
asked for", and the developers signed off saying "Yes, this is technically
accurate").

Anyhow, now, as the products keep evolving, I am left to pick up the pieces
and document all that was not documented for the past 9 months, in addition
to what is new. I feel like I'm playing a constant game of 'catch up'. The
problem is that there are no delta docs or an equivalent to tell me what was
changed while I was away, and when a product is re-released, there is no
consideration given to the documentation department. Documentation generally
isn't even in the project plan. Don't think that I haven't talked to
management about it, because I have. I think the value of the docs is
evidenced by the fact that customer service regularly consults them to solve
customer issues. I am constantly pointing this out, and I meet with
customer service to get their feedback on the docs (they have been quite
helpful). I am only asking for other people's input so that I can go to my
manger with a concrete plan, and when he asks "Why should we do it this
way?", I can say, "Well, I have been communicating with tech. writers from
other companies, and they have given me these suggestions." That might have
a bit more clout than "Because I said so."

And for the record, I am very close to the product, close enough that I do
internal and external training. I am close enough that I can look at the
source code for the SDK and point out missing and redundant methods, and you
know what? Developers don't like it when a lowly technical writer does
that. It makes them look bad, and they've told me that. So maybe if I dumb
it down a little, they might learn to like me more.

The problem with having the docs done for RC (which means Beta where I am),
is that the first RC could always be the last -- there is no fixed number of
RCs that must be met. How do I know that the first RC won't be the last? I
can't have my docs done for RC. It's just not possible. I can give them a
draft, but then what if the product is ready to go straight to Golden
Release?

Thanks for your input,

regards,
Susie Pearson

PS -- thanks for the flower stand idea. If all else fails, I might give it
serious consideration.