Re: Vector Graphics

Subject: Re: Vector Graphics
From: CHRISTINE ANAMEIER <CANAMEIE -at- email -dot- usps -dot- gov>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 10:29:39 -0500

CSM asked:

> Is there a way to:
> A) Convert a web picture (.gif or .jpg) to a vector graphic
> B) Minimize the graphic so it does not get blurry
> C) Convert the picture back to a web graphic

What kind of picture are you thinking of converting? The difficulty of
converting to vector depends on the image.

*If* it happens to be a screenshot, my advice would be: don't try to
convert to vector. Resize it in a format that will resize gracefully (i.e.,
if you're in Photoshop, convert temporarily to RGB Mode; in Indexed Color
mode, resizing is a disaster) and save it as a GIF. A JPG will almost
invariably be blurry if there's text involved, unless you save it at such a
high quality that it defeats the purpose of using JPG compression. Or
better yet, find a way around resizing the image. If I'm working with
screenshots, I rarely use a full-screen capture because that usually means
resizing and losing some clarity. Instead I use a series of smaller cropped
screenshots, each showing whatever particular interface element I'm writing
about at full size (and a little bit of the rest of the screen, for

I've never had to resort to vector.

If it's *not* a screenshot, you can probably ignore this advice. If it is,
check the archives--there's stuff in there about this issue--or email me.

Meta-comment to everybody asking for advice: For the most useful and
relevant advice, include background on the task you're trying to
accomplish, so people can determine whether you're barking up the wrong
tree or not.

canameie -at- email -dot- usps -dot- gov
existing Help projects! Learn how else RoboHelp can benefit you.