RE: Applying On-Line

Subject: RE: Applying On-Line
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 10:37:20 -0700

Glenn wrote:

> Right or wrong, if the candidate for a technical writing position
> doesn't use Word - a common tool of our trade - correctly, they won't
> use the other tools correctly either. Right or wrong, I extrapolate that
> their tool-ignorance and tool-phobia isn't limited to Word's features.=20
... and ...
> We're not talking about elaborate bells-and-whistles in Word. We're
> talking about something that is fundamental to its proper usage. I
> should be able to expect this from a decent technical writing candidate.

Gotta disagree. You're talking about ONE of the "proper" ways to use Word.
It is ENTIRELY possible to create attractive, professional documents
without ANY use of styles. Here Word differs from some other software, in
that it allows you to accomplish the same task in a variety of ways.

I work in Word all day long. FYI, I use styles, having learned Frame
first. But I also see hundreds of documents created in Word each year, and
I'd estimate that 80-90% of these very professional-looking docs do NOT
use styles. I'm talking about 200-page RFPs that were written by
professional writers. The reality is most people do NOT use Word styles,
even among the pros. You do. So do I. That's nice. But there's more than
one way to skin a cat in Word.

I'll admit that when I DO see styles used professionally and consistently
in a doc, it lets me know I'm probably dealing with an expert Word user.
But it does NOT indicate that this person is a better tech writer than the
WordPerfect or Frame experts whose work I also review.

I think most of us would agree that a good tech writer's resume should be
flawless, attractive, and demonstrate an awareness of good writing and
layout. But how they accomplish that is secondary, unless specific
techniques (ie use of Word styles) are an actual (and clearly stated) job
requirement.

And there is nothing wrong with needing a Word expert for a specific job;
heck, that's what I'd need if I hired any help. But there is something
wrong with requiring a non-Word user to "do it your way or else" when they
won't even be using Word if they work for you.

- Keith Cronin

This writing business. Pencils and what-not. Over-rated, if you ask me.
Silly stuff. Nothing in it.

- Eeyore