Re: Translations and graphics...

Subject: Re: Translations and graphics...
From: Charles E Vermette <cvermette -at- juno -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 08:50:37 -0500

<<<We are now translating our manuals into 9 languages, and translations
of
screen captures have become an expensive problem. What do you do in your
department?

1. We don't use screen captures.
2. We translate all our windows, etc. and take new screen captures for
each
manual or Help file.
3. We blur or pixilate the language areas of the screen capture to render

it language-nonspecific.
4. We have another, fabulous idea: (what is it?!)
Thanks.
Martha Silverspring>>>

Number 4 - you retake the screenshots once the UI has been localized.
This is how localization companies do it.

Going back to the styles thread - there is a "secret handshake" regarding
graphics that I look for. Does the writer embed the graphics or link to
them? Pros link to them. It's the ONLY way to handle localized
graphics...unless you want to embed hundreds of screenshots instead of
using a single command...

-Chuck (who learned the tools of the trade localizing hundreds of docs
for a large localization firm...)

Charles E. Vermette
85 Washington Park Drive, Norwell MA 02061
781-659-1836
e-mail: cvermette -at- juno -dot- com
web: http://www.charlesvermette.com