RE: Applying On-Line

Subject: RE: Applying On-Line
From: David Wood <davidwood -at- canada -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 14:13:31 -0500

| It's pretty funny/ironic that a writer who has (I'm guessing
| here, but I
| feel pretty safe) sold more copies of technical books than the rest of
| this list put together would not make it past the initial
| resume screening
| process maintained by many members of this list.
|
| Like Laura said, your loss.

I'm not dumb. If Laura Lemay ever decides to submit her resume to us, I
will certainly interview her. But that's because she's Laura Lemay. Not
all candidates have that advantage when submitting a resume.

I think the point was that with this strategy, you could discount or penalize a candidate *equally*as*competent* as Laura Lemay without ever knowing it, simply because she or he didn't use styles. The focus should be on the resume's content & grammar, the candidate's accomplishments, and compatibility with your organization. The candidate may have unknown and valid reasons for not using styles (like the person who wrote in HTML/CSS and imported to Word), but there is no excuse for bad grammar or poor content.

(That said, I'm a realist and am going to check my resume to make sure it uses styles only; :-) but I don't necessarily agree with this as an important criterion.)

David Wood
Freelance Technical Writer
DavidWood -at- canada -dot- com

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr