RE: Baaad Hard Return

Subject: RE: Baaad Hard Return
From: Meg Halter <aiki4us -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 17:07:40 -0800 (PST)

Thanks again for your suggestions, both to the list and directly
to me. I'm also using Word 97 sp-2, as Eva is. Should've
mentioned that earlier.

Ok. Here's what I tried:

- anchoring the object to the preceeding paragraph. If the
paragraph got too close to the bottom of hte page, the object
spilled over hte footer and off the page

- anchoring hte object to its caption. If the caption got too
close to the top of hte page, the object spilled over the header
but not off the page.

- not anchoring the object and wrapping text above and below. It
looked great until I added or removed paragraphs before the
object. The text (including the caption) moved to accommodate
the change but the object stayed mulishly in the same place. The
caption *must* stay with the object!

- I made a single-cell table and tried to cut and paste hte
object into it. Didn't work because the paste option was greyed
out.

- I selected the object, a blank (horrors!) line before, and the
caption after and clicked "Convert text to table". The line
before and the line after were converted into a 2-row table and
the object was blissfully unaffected. When I add text before the
object, the two table cells move down, regardless of whether the
object is anchored to them or not.

I'm feeling downright cranky about this. It shouldn't be so
hard.

-- Meg

http://auctions.yahoo.com