summary about conditional text in Word

Subject: summary about conditional text in Word
From: "Chuck Martin" <twriter -at- sonic -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 17:11:40 -0800

I got a number of responses a few weeks ago about my request on how to do
conditional text in Word, where sections of text would have to have multiple
conditions.

The simple answer: it can't be done.

That said, couple of people suggested workarounds: create charater styles
for different combinations of conditions. Unfortunately, combinatorial
mathematics takes hold here, and when the number of combinations gets not
too far from small, them number of different character styles that would be
needed is just too unwieldy.

Of course, FrameMaker might be a solution, but we don't have it and have no
plans to put it in our budget.

A short time later, the situation became moot, as it was agreed here that
partner managers would make manual customizations when new versions were
being released. They weren't botherd by it because the amount of
customization wasn't that great.

But I wanted to summarize, and say thanks for the input.

"I don't entirely understand it but it is true: Highly skilled
carpenters don't get insulted when told they are not architects,
but highly skilled programmers do get insulted when told
they are not UI designers."
- anonymous programmer quoted in "GUI Bloopers"

Chuck Martin
User Assistance & Experience Engineer
twriter "at" sonic "dot" net www.writeforyou.com