Acrobat woes -- B&W output from color FM files?

Subject: Acrobat woes -- B&W output from color FM files?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 08:46:27 -0500

Thomas Eagles reports a variety of problems producing PDF from Frame.
Thomas, I can't help with the specifics of your problem since I'm using
neither Frame nor WinXP, but Jim Royal (www.jimroyal.com) just gave us a
talk last night* at the local STC chapter meeting, and had a few suggestions
that might help:

- make sure you're using the latest Adobe print driver; for WinXP I believe
it's the Acrobat Universal Print Driver 1.05 or some such, but check the
Adobe site for details.

- select the printer driver (AdobePS) _before_ you distill the file, not
after you've already opened the Print dialog box. (More important for Word
than other software, but worth a shot.)

- make sure you've got the correct color settings in the graphics
preferences (not sure where this would be in Acrobat 5, but I know it was
somewhere obvious in 4.x)

* A PDF of his talk on "Onscreen PDFs that don't suck" should appear on his
site in a week or so. Lots of cool stuff, including (not in the PDF) the
report that Acrobat's rasterizing engine is optimized for 72 dpi screen
output because the software was originally developed by Macintosh
programmers, and thus, any bitmaps you include look best if you upsample or
downsample them to some multiple of 72. He also claimed to have a Java
applet that lets you display various color combinations onscreen to see what
the results look like to viewers with various kinds of colorblindness, a
cool trick indeed, and very useful if you're concerned about accessible
design.

geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca
"User's advocate" online monthly at

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a
personality, and an obnoxious one at that."-Kim Roper